15 Current Members of Congress under Investigation; 9 Recent Members of Congress under Investigation or Convicted
1. Sen. Larry Craig (R-Idaho) resigns effective Sept. 30 after arrest and guilty plea in a gay sex sting operation.
2. Sen. Pete Domenici (R-N.M.) Under investigation for his role in the
attorney firings controversy U.S.
3. Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) Under investigation for an improper financial relationship
4. Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) Under investigation for accepting bribes, illegal gratuities or unreported gifts from VECO Corp
5. Rep. John Doolittle (R-Calif.) Under investigation for his ties to convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff
7. Rep. Bob Filner (D-Calif.) Under investigation for assault and battery against an airline employee
9. Rep. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) Under investigation for blocking an Indian casino on behalf of convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff and for questions related to Rep. Mark Foley and the Senate page scandal
10. Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.) Under investigation for racketeering, soliciting bribes, wire fraud, money-laundering, obstruction of justice, conspiracy, and violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
12. Rep. Gary Miller (R-Calif.) Under investigation by the FBI for irregular real estate transactions.
13. Rep. Alan Mollohan (D-W.V.) Under investigation for rewarding contributors with no-bid contracts.
15. Rep. Rick Renzi (R-Ariz.) Under investigation by the Justice Department investigations for a federal land swap deal and for a corrupt water level deal.
15. Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska) Under federal investigation for accepting bribes, illegal gratuities or unreported gifts from VECO Corp
1. Former Rep. Bob Beauprez (R-Colo.) Under investigation by the Justice Department’s for accessing a restricted federal database for information to use in an attack ad.
2. Former Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) Under investigation for his role in the Jack Abramoff scandal.
4. Former Rep. Tom DeLay (R-Texas) Indicted in September 2005 for money laundering and conspiracy in connection with the Texas redistricting scandal
5. Former Rep. Mark Foley (R-Fla.) The FBI is investigating whether he violated laws against crossing state lines or using electronic communications to entice a minor into sexual acts.
6. Former Rep. Jim Gibbons (R-Nev.) Currently, governor of Nevada, under investigation by the FBI for accepting bribes and assaulting a cocktail waitress.
7. Former Rep. Katherine Harris (R-Fla.) Under investigation by both the Justice Department and Defense Department for campaign irregularities.
9. Former Rep. Curt Weldon (R-Pa.) Under investigation by the Justice Department for trading political influence for lobbying and consulting contracts for his daughter.