Sep 24, 2008

Got Gas? Not If You Live in Western North Carolina


Blank

Weird stuff going on in Asheville, North Carolina, my hometown. No one has any gasoline, my 87-year-old dad called to report. I thought he was just being a bit senile, then I checked online--it's true. Hurricane Ike has disrupted the flow of gas to the mountains, and citizens are lined up--and in some cases fighting--over limited gas supplies:

Asheville Citizen-Times Paper Reporting on Gas Shortages

They do expect the refineries in SC to resume shipment in a few days, so it all should be settled down by the time of my trip home, in mid-October. But funny how utterly we Americans are dependent on gasoline these days--our whole economy and lives are wrapped around this limited fuel, making us all vulnerable.


No comments: