Oct 9, 2008

Tumerica on Vacation in the Mountains of North Carolina



Hello, from Tumerica. I'm perched in a treehouse-like house on stilts, four stories suspended over the road, deep in the mountains of western North Carolina. The leaves are just beginning to turn colors. The air is crispy and the mountains so green and three dimensional, as they come toward you, you feel yourself flying through them, as though aiming for the puffy clouds and gorgeous blue sky. As Wordsworth said,

My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky
So was it when my life began
So is it now I am a man
So be it when I shall grow old
Or let me die!
The child is father of the man
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety.

May your days be bound each to each by natural piety, too. Living as I do in the central coast of California, coming to western NC, where the pace is slower and easier, I have to remind myself, breathe, just breathe and be present. I did live-blog the debate this week, and will do so with the final debate, but you will notice not much else after that until I return to California, mid-October. If you live in a place of deciduous trees where you can hike and enjoy, please remind yourself to do so. The joy you receive is precious.

No comments: